COVID-19 is already changing the way we interact with and produce food. As we each look to control the spread and impact of COVID-19, there are many questions around the risks associated with food production and to our employees to ensure that a safe and robust food supply is maintained for the public. Below you can find useful links to expert resources to help address your specific questions. We will continue to provide updates to these resources as the situation changes and new information becomes available.
- Food Industry Guidance on COVID-19
- Industry Resources by Commodity
- Advice to Minimize Personnel Risks
- Food Industry FAQs
- Templates & Trainings
- COVID-19 Management Training
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
All individuals 16 years of age and older that reside in the US are eligible to be vaccinated.
Vaccines are widely available at pharmacies, local health departments, clinics, Federally Qualified Health Centers and other locations across the state. Visit Vaccines.gov to find appointments near you or contact your local pharmacy or provider. To schedule an appointment directly at a New York State-run site, go to New York State's vaccine scheduler and follow the instructions. Walk-in appointments are also accepted at New York State mass vaccination sites for all eligible adults. While the vaccination process is underway, New Yorkers should continue to wear a mask, social distance, avoid large gatherings and follow all other health guidelines.
In this episode, Dr. Elizabeth Demmings, IFS@CU's Coordinator and Extension Support Specialist, gives an update on the current status of vaccinations in the US, the impact this has had on the number of US COVID-19 cases, reviews the situation with the pandemic globally, and discusses the new CDC guidance for fully vaccinated people.
Karen Ospina nos recuerda los beneficios de la vacunación y habla acerca de los desafíos que tendremos en las próximos meses en cuanto a los cambios en las políticas para personas completamente vacunadas.
Food Industry Virtual Office Hours
Join us for Q&A and facilitated discussions during our Food Industry Virtual Office Hours. Speak directly to Cornell University food safety experts in dairy, fresh fruits and vegetables, and processed foods and beverages to address your questions on COVID-19.
Training Videos for Food Processing Employees (English & Spanish)
COVID-19 Training for Food Industry Workers
View the Training Videos:
Get a Certificate for Training here:
Educational Videos on COVID-19 (English & Spanish)
COVID-19 Information for Food Industry Workers
COVID Alert NY
If a laboratory confirmed case of COVID-19 works in your facility or was known to be present in your facility, promptly notify your local health department and the Department of Agriculture and Markets at RRT@agriculture.ny.gov and perform cleaning and disinfection of all surfaces throughout the area immediately.
- COVID Alert NY phone app is part of New York’s Contact Tracing Program that will enhance the state’s efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19 and keep New Yorkers informed. Visit this page from New York State Department of Health to find information about how to download and use the COVID Alert NY app. Posted on October 2, 2020.
- COVID Alert NY es la aplicación oficial del Sistema de Notificación de Exposición de New York creada por el Departamento de Salud del Estado de Nueva York, que mejorará los esfuerzos del estado para contener la propagación de COVID-19 y mantener informados a los neoyorquinos. Visite esta página del Departamento de Salud del Estado de Nueva York para encontrar información sobre cómo descargar y usar la aplicación COVID Alert NY. Posted on October 2, 2020.
No Evidence to Support Food Associated Transmission of COVID-19
- Visit this page to find a joint statement from the USDA and FDA that affirms current epidemiological and scientific information indicating no transmission of COVID-19 through food or food packaging. Posted on February 19, 2021.
- Visit this page from the FDA to find a joint statement from both the USDA and FDA on Food Export Restrictions Pertaining to COVID-19. Posted on June 30, 2020.
- Visit this page from the CDC to find their statement regarding food associated transmission of COVID-19. Posted on March 17, 2020.
- Visit this page from the FDA to find their statement regarding food associated transmission of COVID-19. Posted on March 17, 2020.
- Visit this page from the European Food Safety Authority to find their statement regarding food associated transmission of COVID-19. Posted on March 17, 2020.
- Visit this page from the German Institute of Risk Assessment to find their statement regarding food associated transmission of COVID-19. Posted on March 17, 2020.
Food Industry Resources
- Visit this page from Cornell University to find a white paper focusing on the impact of COVID-19 on New York’s farms and food systems. Posted on October 27, 2020.
- Visit this page from the FDA to find information on Reporting a Temporary Closure or Significantly Reduced Production and Requesting FDA Assistance. Posted on May 29, 2020.
- Visit this page from the FDA to find information on their Temporary Policy Regarding Certain Food Labeling Requirements During the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency: Minor Formulation Changes and Vending Machines. Posted on May 26, 2020.
- Visit this page from Food Safety Tech to find COVID-19 resources for the Food Industry. Posted on May 11, 2020.
- Visit this page from The Food Industry Association to find COVID-19 general resources for industry. Posted on March 24, 2020.
- Visit this page from FDA-CFSAN to find a portal for questions related to food safety during the COVID-19 outbreak. Posted on March 20, 2020.
- Visit this page from the FDA to find information on their Briefing for Foods Stakeholders on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Posted on March 19, 2020.
- Visit this page from The Acheson Group to find advice for the food industry and outbreak updates. Posted on March 18, 2020.
- Visit this page from the FDA to find resources for industry members and consumers on COVID-19 and food safety. Posted on March 18, 2020.
COVID-19 Financial Assistance
- Visit this page from NYS Empire State Development to find information about Small Business Economic Recovery and COVID-19 Loans and Assistance in NYS. Posted on June 3, 2020.
- U.S. Small Business Administration, Coronavirus (COVID-19): Small Business Guidance & Loan Resources. Posted on March 17, 2020.
If you have specific questions around ingredients, cleaning/sanitation chemicals and procedures, personnel practices, or other food safety, supply, and distribution changes due to the impact of COVID-19, reach out to our experts:
- Dairy: Rob Ralyea (email@example.com) and Kimberly Bukowski (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Fresh Produce: Dr. Elizabeth Bihn (email@example.com) and Gretchen Wall (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Processed Fruits and Vegetables: Dr. Martin Wiedmann (email@example.com) and Dr. Randy Worobo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Fermented Beverages: Dr. Anna Katharine Mansfield (email@example.com) and Chris Gerling (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- All Other Foods: Dr. Olga Padilla-Zakour (email@example.com) and Dr. Bruno Xavier (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- For Resources in Spanish: Karen Ospina (email@example.com)
Our team can also provide process authority services in case you need to change processes and/or formulations due to COVID-19 related challenges. For more information visit the Cornell Food Venture Center and for dairy-related process authority services contact Rob Ralyea (firstname.lastname@example.org).
This work is supported by USDA NIFA AFRI Grant NO:2020-68006-32875/ Accession no. 1024254 from the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture. Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed on this website are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the view of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.